Sunday, September 14, 2014

Leave No Man Behind

I am not, what you would call, a perfect Dad.

There, I've said it.  Actually, I feel grieved to even think it. I am so NOT where I thought I would be at this point in my life.

After all, Dad's have dreams too.  When I started on the parenting journey with my dear wife, I thought I knew it all.  After all, I knew where my own parents had failed, where they had made mistakes, and I would be the one who would right them!

LOL.

It seems I was mistaken.  Either I made the same mistakes, aka doing what EVERY parent does, or I just blew it because, well, because I just blew it.

That being said...I DID actually learn an important and pivotal part of parenting.  Actually I learned it from my Dad. (Perhaps the GREATEST Dad of all times)

Leave NO MAN behind.

Basic military principle.

I saw it put into practice a few times by my Dad for those close to him.

There were probably stories and circumstances I knew nothing about...but I did know my Dad was following this principle.

And so I do too.

I do it for those closest to me.  Even in the midst of great turmoil...I will search for you and do my best to try to rescue you.

That means a lot of different things based on the circumstances, I know. 

But it means to me that family does not give up on family.  It is a legacy given to me by my Dad...and so I leave it with my children.

Go and do likewise.

No comments: