Monday, September 15, 2014

Pain & Suffering


Last year around this time I came across this book by Timothy Keller: "Walking with God through Pain and Suffering.

Little did I know how timely it would be, but I guess that God knew.

 The book was so much more than I expected....theology, contextual history...philosophical ideas, amazing!

For many years I have held to the belief that if God truly is in control, then everything that happens, and I do mean EVERYTHING, has value.

I guess my own upbringing was that as well.  We were not taught answers to everything, but purpose...trust.

I struggled with that for many years.  Especially in light of what my grandparents went through, and my great-grandparents who were lost to famine...labour camps, persecution.

There is meaning there.


I went away in October of last year for my annual private retreat.  My time away to just think and pray and process.

I took this book and both listened and read.

Little did I know that our Mom would get cancer, and then leave us just 2 months after her diagnosis.

I think I was being prepared.  Who knows.  But I understood a little more...or at least, looked at things a little differently.

My Mom knew that as well.  Her words to me in hospital were "I know people are praying for me.  God suffered for me, I can suffer for Him".

So, she saw and understood the value of pain and suffering as well.

This book was helpful to me...it pointed to something bigger than me.  

A plan. A Purpose.  A Person.

I'm thanking for this revelation.  The still small voice that gently leads and directs.

Grace abounds.




No comments: