Tuesday, September 01, 2020

Something cool....

My grandmother, Elisabeth Dieser Gerk, was born on August 19, 1902. Her birthdate and baptism are preserved in this old Church record from that time, in Russia. Granny was born in a time when Russia was on the old Julian calendar. Her passport and other papers documenting her birth are all based on that old calendar. 

The problem is that Russia did away with the Julian calendar and moved to the Gregorian calendar, as the western world had done, just after the Russian revolution. 

 So what does it mean? The date that my family celebrated her birthday is wrong. Using a conversion table, my grandmother was born on September 1, 1902. 

 So what is cool about that? 

My Dad, John Gerk, was born on September 1, 1933. The same birthdate as my grandmother, his Mom!

No comments: