Friday, November 01, 2019

A lesson I learned from my Dad

"Lying in a hospice bed, in the very last situation he would have chosen for himself, my father taught me that to die with dignity means to accept what God has given you and deal with it till the end. It means to play the hand God has dealt you, no matter how bad a hand it is, without folding. It means actually to live as if the Lord gives, and the Lord takes away, and in either case blessed be the name of the Lord."
-David Mills, Real Death, Real Dignity: First Things, March 2011
 This older article aligns itself perfectly with the lesson I learned from my own Dad.

My Dad was a quiet man...he let his life teach us kids the lessons of life.

When he was diagnosed with a brain tumour, once again, he let his way of doing things lead us by example.

The complete article is found here.

There you will find the valuable lessons the writer learned while watching his own father die.

The same lessons I learned from my Dad...well, "learned" also means I will apply them.  But will I?  I have the map....I will, when the time comes, have to make sure, or, at least, try to follow it.

But the lessons this amazing man taught me remain.

No comments: