Thursday, November 08, 2018

Rockets and more rockets....

When I was around 13 years of age, I discovered ROCKETS!  I built a number of models, usually semi-trucks....but then someone showed me a model rocket catalog...and I was hooked!

The actual purchase and building of a model rocket was not difficult in Canada.

Oh....but the flying of those same rockets....at the time they were strictly regulated...so in Canada...you had to get a special permit which included providing a map of the area where the rocket was going to be launched, etc.

Basically, it made it impossible.  But, thankfully, by the time I had kids, you were allowed to purchase the engines in Canada and, hopefully, use common sense and fly away!

One of the most enjoyable activities I did with my kids was building and flying a rocket in the field near our home!

Most model rockets were made by Estes...a company out of Colorado.  I would order their catalog...and dream......

Yes, I even became of member of the Estes Aerospace Club.

It's pretty cool that they have scanned  most of their catalogs going back decades.

The ones I remember start from about 1973 to 1977...when I had my strongest interest in building models.

I would literally pour over these catalogs for hours....





No comments: