Friday, April 17, 2015

On not providing a citation. Sigh.

Last year I was sent a copy of the GRHS News (Germans from Russia) in which the main article dealt with Volga German farmers and an insurrection in the summer of 1918.

Fascinating also because it lists my family's village of Josefstal as one of the villages involved in fighting the local communists. (article is here)

I inquired about the article because it does not list a proper citation, only the name of the publication, St. Peter's Bote, and the aproximate year it was published.

Alas, the translator who had access to the original article had passed away...and no one knew when it was originally printed.

Just this last month, after 5 months of requests and paperwork, I was able to get 2 microfilms of St. Peter's Bote through our local library.

The article suggested 1925, so I ordered that year and 1924 (Cost $30)....as my grandfather came to Canada through the sponsorship of the Volksverein, somewhat associated with St. Peter's Bote.

Sigh.

Nothing.  Now, I could very well have missed it.  The paper IS in the German language.

I had hopes of getting the exact citation, maybe a clue to the identity of the author....and hoped that my grandfather's trek to Canada might be covered.

But nothing.

Frustrating to be sure.

Back to the drawing board on this one.

No comments: