Wednesday, March 05, 2014

"The devil got Stalin"

Growing up my grandmother would tell me the story of a conversation she had with my grandfather on the day Stalin died.

For the record, Stalin died on this day, March 5, 1953.

My grandmother went out to the orchard where my grandfather was working...at this time of year he was probably pruning.

She told my grandfather: "Paul, the devil got Stalin!". My grandfather's response was "No....we must never say that....it is not our place...it's up to God".

Imagine!  Here was a man who could have hated Stalin with a passion, given his entire family was shipped off to labour camps in Siberia..with no word if they were dead or alive.  And he still allowed the final decision about the fate of Stalin to be placed exactly where it should be...in the hands of God.

That keeps something my Dad used to say to me in perspective.  Dad was all about "Everyone has to answer for himself".  I saw my Dad live that out in his own life time and time again...even when he had good reason to be angry or upset over some way he was treated.

When my Dad was in the hospital for the last time, shortly before he died, folks would come and visit and if the discussions moved towards someone who had wronged him, he would still say...."Everyone has to answer for themselves."

These two men...my grandfather and father...I am in awe of them. How they lived their faith...no matter what.

No comments: