Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Привольное (Варенбург \ Warenburg)


This snap is of the remains of the cemetery in the former Volga German village of Warenburg. I've seen many of these on my travels, but none so lonely and massive as this.
Soviets removed any grave markers and so you have row upon row of unmarked graves...I guess kinda reminding me they're all waiting for something.
As was the case for all the Volga Germans, everyone from this village was deported to Siberia in September of 1941.
A chap from Russia has visited a number of the old villages and placed his photos online, hence this fascinating and lonely photo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello My Volga Brother Ted! Well it may be of some surprise that some of our community have in fact read some of your thoughts and defenses to our originations and the crimes commited upon our ancestors of the past and famly of the living, but yes it is true! :) I first ran across a letter written by you to an academic Mark Tauger. Even though he may still stand on his argument on the causes of famine produced during the 20's and 30's we know the truth. It is also evident as usual our group has been ignored in the development of the Imperial Russian Empire and it seems to continue to be minimized to some extent by the so-called intelligensia. :) A Word from our grand parents period! I am please to have had the pleasure of seeing your works and am delighted to share a common background. I would also anknowledge your choice in awarnes to the Lying in wait on the Volga. I have settlers originating out of the Warenbug Colony. I Thank you for being up and front in building awarness for those who have little knowledge. I feel today my ancestors speak through me and I sense there are many of us. My hopes are someday to meet you and shake your hand for the work you do for us all! Succes to your New Year Brother!

Calvin B!