Monday, March 17, 2008

Why Blog?

There are a variety of reasons. For myself, it allows me to voice, even if it is only to myself, my thoughts on various life lessons that I'm learning through many means, ie. books, friends, etc.

It's also a tool to help other people. I've started a few other blogs, one of which is dedicated to the village my family lived in and helped establish: the Volga German village of Josefstal. Through the posting of photographs, I've already helped one family find relatives living in Argentina. I'm hoping it will do much more as well...it becomes a way to get historical material out that I've been collecting for 20+ years.

As many of us document the history of our people, blogging can be a rich source of information that no one even knew was available. I've also set up a blog dealing with the refugee camp my grandfather was in, located in Frankfurt/Oder Germany....just after he escaped from Russia. This will provide an outlet for a number of hisorical documents I and others have collected on the Volga Germans and the persecution they underwent. As well, it provides a rich resource of stories...of great faith and great tragedy...amazing how those always seem to go together!

And, naturally, there is my abortion blog, which seeks to document some especially grizzly abortion practices here in BC and elsewhere. As I come across information...why keep it in some dusty old file? Blogging allows all of us to get these stories out.

So there...just a few examples of how we can impact our culture and society!

No comments: