Friday, June 03, 2005

Memories of a life lived...

He came to this country in April of 1924. Born in Russia in 1902, he along with his wife, Elisabeth, left all their family in hopes of starting a new life. The plan was to bring the rest of the family here, but the iron curtain slammed shut, never to be opened for them. My grandfather, Paul Gerk, whom I never knew, died 51 years ago on June 3, 1954. From time to time I will mention my work on "the book". This is, of course, my attempt to document the life of my family in Russia, the sacrifices they made, the faith that sustained them, the terror that they lived through. I started this "hobby" when I was 18 years of age..so it really has been my life's work. I wanted something to give to my children, so they could tell the story to their children. Every year I say, "this is the year" and I plan to print it up. But of course, I was talking about THIS year...I'm publishing it this year...don't you know?In my spare time...honest. I really mean it this year!

No comments: