Monday, June 06, 2005

Hobbies and family go together...

Currently Reading:
Los Abuelos Alemanes del Volga
by Alberto Sarramone


From time to time you will see some sort of weird, foreign-language book posted. Usually that means I have been helping someone find family. Given our ties to Russia, I get a lot of mail, both snail and e-mail, from folks who have left Russia and settled in Germany. In most cases, they are looking for family that they have not heard from for over 50 years. During the time of Stalin, it was usually a death sentence to even admit you had relatives here in the west. The children of these folks, desperate to discover something about their past and that of their family, write in hopes we can provide leads to relatives that got out while they had a chance. Over the years I've had the priviledge of helping with the reunification of a number of these "returnees" and their families in North America, and in some cases, even Argentina. It's very satisfying and I work on it when I can. I'm currently helping a 90-year old lady in Germany find various family who either settled in the US or in Argentina. She usually writes to me in dialect, which means it takes me about 3 hours to decipher. This letter, however, is in Russian so Marina can read it for me while I take notes.

Psalm 78:1-7 (The Message) Listen, dear friends, to God's truth, bend your ears to what I tell you. I'm chewing on the morsel of a proverb; I'll let you in on the sweet old truths, Stories we heard from our fathers,counsel we learned at our mother's knee.
We're not keeping this to ourselves, we're passing it along to the next generation--
GOD's fame and fortune, the marvelous things he has done. He planted a witness in Jacob, set his Word firmly in Israel, Then commanded our parents to teach it to their children So the next generation would know, and all the generations to come--
Know the truth and tell the stories so their children can trust in God, Never forget the works of God but keep his commands to the letter.

No comments: